Faces of Paleo : Brenda

Faces of Paleo, Health, Interviews, Paleo, Paleo Treats, Primal, Uncategorized, Whole Eating

As a blogger trying to find content that educates, encourages and gives you enjoyment I have decided to find people who have their own paleo journey and interview them for the benefit of my readers. Getting to know people at a personal level and find out about their health journey is such a fun experience for me as it shows that there isn’t one right way to “be healthy”. Yes, there are healthy choices, but the way we work those healthy choices into our daily lives will look differently for everyone. Because of that, I will occasionally have posts labeled “Faces of Paleo” that will be interactive in nature and something both you and I can learn and be encouraged by.

 

Today I want to introduce you to a sweet friend of mine who I met through church a few years back who’s name is Brenda. Her sweet personality, love for the Lord and more recently her embrace of eating paleo have encouraged a friendship between us that has been fun to see grow. I first learned of her decision to start eating paleo last winter when I noticed she was slimming down and looking quite healthy. When I asked Brenda what she was doing, her reply “I’m eating paleo, cutting out sugars and grains!” I was beyond excited and know you’ll enjoy what I learned from her in our time together.


1-Brenda

How long have you been eating paleo?
Since January 2nd 2014

What are your go to recipe sources?
Against All Grain for finding amazing recipes
   Practical Paleo for amazing resources, information and background for eating paleo

Why did you decide to start eating paleo?
My main reason for starting the paleo lifestyle was my health. I was diagnosed with PCOS (Poly Cycstic Ovarian Syndrome) through lab work as I had no major symptoms. Through research on how to treat PCOS naturally, I found the blog Against All Grain.

What have been the hardest foods to give up?
Cheese and specifically, cheese quesadillas. I was literally dreading giving up those.

What were the hardest parts of learning to cook paleo?
Figuring out meal plans for two people with different diet differences, one being paleo and the other eating a normal American diet. Also, having variety in the foods you eat.

What was your solution to cooking for two different palets?
If I made a dish that called for cheese, I would omit the cheese on half for me and put chesse on the other half for my husband.

What kind of sweetener did you find most useful and what treats were your favorite?
Maple syrup for my sweetner
Cobbler, scones and avocado pudding were my go to treats

What kind of things would you eat for snacks?
Almonds, fruit, carrots and cellery. My favorite was roasted almonds that I would flavor with cinnamon and nutmeg or Tuscan seasonings.

What has been the hardest thing about eating paleo?
Eating out as most restaurants don’t have paleo options. My solution – order food and have them take off the non-paleo food items.

Have you noticed a difference with your body?
Yes, my stomach went way…had little belly fat. It was replaced with more of a lean muscle tone (she supplemented her eating lifestyle with going to the gym 3 times a week which was less than she had been going before going paleo). In four months I lost 15 pounds.

Did you ever eat non paleo items?
I ate 95% paleo and the other 5% splurges would be beans a few times a month. I decided to just do it cold turkey!

Words of advice?
Forget what somethings is supposed to taste like and focus on finding “new” recipes that you like.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s